Time To Change
Stress Awareness Month
April is Stress Awareness Month.
What are the signs of stress?
How you might feel
- irritable, aggressive, impatient or wound up
- nervous, anxious or afraid
- like your thoughts are racing and you can’t switch off
- unable to enjoy yourself
- uninterested in life
- like you’ve lost your sense of humour
- a sense of dread
- worried about your health
- neglected or lonely.
How you might behave
- finding it hard to make decisions
- constantly worrying
- avoiding situations that are troubling you
- snapping at people
- biting your nails
- picking at your skin
- unable to concentrate
- eating too much or too little
- smoking or drinking alcohol more than usual
- restless, like you can’t sit still
- being tearful or crying.
How you might be physically affected
- shallow breathing or hyperventilating
- you might have a panic attack
- muscle tension
- blurred eyesight or sore eyes
- problems getting to sleep, staying asleep or having nightmares
- sexual problems, such as losing interest in sex or being unable to enjoy sex
- tired all the time
- grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw
- chest pains
- high blood pressure
- indigestion or heartburn
- constipation or diarrhoea
- feeling sick, dizzy or fainting.
If you need to speak to someone confidentially, call our confidential 24/7 Employee Assistance Line on 0845 1201 421, quote: 72016.
Mind also has lots of resources to help you recognise and manage stress: